Practical information for visitors
How To Get To Otaniemi
- The campus area where the department is located is called Otaniemi. It is located in the city of Espoo (not Helsinki)
- The department is located in Otaniemi in the electrical and communications engineering building
- Address for taxi driver: Otakaari 5 A, Espoo, Aalto University
- Distance from Helsinki: Circa 10 km
- From Helsinki about 20 minutes with a public bus [5€ per ride]
- From Helsinki about 15 minutes by taxi [~15€]
- Distance from Helsinki-Airport: Circa 20 km
- From Helsinki-Airport about 70 minutes with a public bus [5€ per ride (includes bus exchange)]
- From Helsinki-Airport about 25 minutes by taxi [~30€]
The web addresses are generic ones and require some surfing
Hotels in Espoo
Hotels in Helsinki
Venue and Equipment on Request
- Cafeteria available in the Electrical and Communications Engineering Building, where the department is also located
Equipment on Request
- Data projector [Mac users, to be on the safe side have an adaptor]
- Audio equipment, i.e., active loudspeakers
- WLAN connection as a temporary user
Good to Know
- Taxi When calling in Helsinki: +358 (0) 100 0700
- Taxi When calling in Espoo/Otaniemi: +358 (0) 100 7300
- Ask for an unknown number: +358 118
- Local weather on the web. In Finland. In Helsinki.
- Temperature: average outside -5 celcius (typically ranges from +0 to - 20 celcius), but inside + 24 celcius.
- In practice you will need 'scalable' clothes.
- During the winter: Remember to bring gloves, warm scarf, and warm hat. Watch for the hidden 'black ice' under the snow. Walk with steady steps (Yes, Mom).
- In practice: wear non-slippery shoes during the winter, i.e., not shoes with slick leather shoe soles.
- Electrical socket type: 50 Hz, 230 V. You might need an adaptor. The Finnish one looks like this: